Golf was first played in Blackheath in 1910 on what is now the Memorial Park.
The present site of the course was originally a nine hole course for a guest house known as "Belvedere". The ruins of the building remain today on the hill overlooking the present 16th fairway. The owner of "Belvedere" abandoned the links because of the steep climb up and down to the course from the guesthouse.
In March 1922 a public meeting was held in the Council Chambers in Blackheath which carried the following motion unanimously: "That this meeting is in favour of acquiring the Belvedere Golf Links". The result of this meeting was that a registered public company, known as "The Blackheath Land Co Ltd" was formed. A contract to purchase the Belvedere Golf Links was signed on 26 April 1922.
On 7 June 1922 the directors of the company formed themselves into a committee known as "Blackheath Golf Club". Annual fees for members were set at three guineas ($6.30) and 22 members were elected. Green fees for visitors were set at four shillings (40c) per day. The first club house was opened on 4 October 1924.
Some GLimpses from the past
Up until 1941, the course was closed for six weeks every winter, the greens fenced off and cattle allowed to graze on the fairways.
The first professional, Mr Roy Smith was appointed in 1926 and remained associated with the club until 1962.
In 1927 an additional six holes were completed.
In May 1928 the first extension to the clubhouse was built.
In March 1930 the committee decided to obtain a liquor licence for the club. However, it was another 26 years before this was done.
In 1930 the Professional’s Cottage was destroyed by fire.
In 1931 the full 18 holes were opened for play.
In 1937 the Blackheath Land Company and the Blackheath Golf Club were combined to make Blackheath Golf Club a limited liability company. (It was not until 35 years later that all clubs were required under state legislation to follow suit).
The liquor licence was finally acquired in 1955.
Until 1963 all the committee and annual meetings of the club were held in Sydney
The present clubhouse was built in 1976.
- The layout of the course was not changed from 1964 till 1993. A major re-alignment was undertaken from 1993 to 1995. Seven new greens were constructed; two new holes, 2nd & 7th, created; and several holes lengthened and fairways re-aligned. The sequence of holes was changed in 1994 and the present layout of Par 69, with the first 9 holes inside the second 9 holes, was opened in April 1995.